From March 24-29, 2015, I went for the first time to the Winter Music Conference, a week full of panels, concerts, pool parties and DJ sets all around Miami Beach.
It was a dream come true. I was very excited about the whole thing, hoping to meet a lot of people and make new connections. It was a fabulous experience I will always remember. The Deauville Beach resort is the perfect location for the conference. It’s an ultra-stylish hotel with a very large pool and an awesome beach within walking distance.
How to GET THE MOST out of the WMC? Read below!
- Buy tickets months in advance—at least 5 months before. This will motivate you and give you enough time to prepare your best promo.
- Look for accommodation within a short walking distance. You’ll save a lot of time.
- Review the description of each panel carefully BEFORE getting to WMC. Many panels will run simultaneously, so choose the ones which are the most relevant to you. DO NOT BE SHY! Ask questions to panelists even if your English is not the best in the world. You won’t regret it, and it’ll help you a lot.
- Print at least 250 – 300 CDs (Get in touch with a good graphic designer to help out with the cover. You can find plenty of great ones on Upwork.) and create a mixtape with your best tunes, including two or three original songs of yours (the ones you consider the best). Don’t forget to add all the links to your music and contacts (website, phone number, and email address). Make sure you have all your SOCIAL MEDIA pages set up. As with the designer, if you don’t have time and aren’t sure where to start, you can find virtual assistance on Upwork.
- Also, print 400-500 business cards or stickers. You need to spread your swag all around Miami. You never know who you’ll be giving ’em to!
- WMC publishes a list of clubs with FREE access (included in your WMC badge) a couple of weeks before the event. Have a close look at the list and decide what DJs you’d like to listen to and which parties you’d like to attend. Check the MIAMI BEACH map and plan the whole week in advance. It’s better to create a Word file with all the places and DJs you’d like to see. Print it out and save it on your tablet or mobile. In 2015 I had a chance to meet Otto Von Schirach, Louie Vega and George Clinton!
One thing I’d like to see at WMC are RECORD LABELS. I expected that each major label would be represented with a booth, but that was not the case. I did, however, meet a few managers promoting their artists during the panels. I know labels are looking for new music online, but I think WMC could be a great opportunity for them to discover new talent.
One of the best things about the conference is the demo listening session. You not only meet managers but also other producers like you. They listened to a minute of my song and praised the mixdown and originality of it. It was such a great moment!
This year’s panelists were:
- Bassjackers Ralph – Bassjackers
- Gladys Pizarro – Launch Entertainment (Co-founder of the legendary label Strictly Rhythm)
- Ramon Wells – Ross-Ellis
What else do you get at WMC?
OK, if the above list is still not enough to convince you why it’s well worth flying to Miami in March to attend this conference, here are a few more reasons you’ll love:
MIAMI BEACH itself – the perfect setting for a conference. It’s so warm and pleasant in March you will not want to leave. Tons of clubs, restaurants, SPAs and a stunningly beautiful beach with an amazing summery feeling.
POOL PARTIES – As simple as it is: Miami is the place to be in March if you LOVE dance music!
ULTRA MUSIC FESTIVAL – ALL the World’s best DJs will be spinnin’ there.
International Dance Music Awards – Hosted by WMC. It’s the industry highlight at the center of WMC Week. All the big names (ZEDD, Steve Aoki, and Diplo just to name a few) will be there and you get the chance to meet them and give a lot of your promos away!
If you have any more questions related to Winter Music Conference, feel free to drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org!